Sunday, June 6, 2010

Holland's smallest city and births #8, #9 & #10



I went with one of the midwives to the nearby city of Bronkhorst which is famous for being the smallest in the Netherlands (city rights granted in 1482) and also has a museum dedicated to Charles Dickens! The church dates back to 1460. I'll post some pictures. It was very lovely. I also attended some more births this week. I'm having some trouble remembering dates and times now, but the first one was a hospital birth with a tight nuchal cord. I got some help clamping and cutting that one and the baby was fine. Mom had to go to the OR though as she had a previous placenta increta and this time the placenta would not come out either. I tried, the MW tried, the hospital MW tried, then the OB came and tried. I was glad to be in the hospital already. Birth #9 was a another homebirth, 2nd baby. Her first was born in hospital because of very bad back labour and need for an epidural for pain relief. This time, she laboured at home with a TENS machine, calling at 6pm to say her water broke and all was fine. We made a plan to eat then see her at 630pm. At 620 her husband called to say things were getting heavy and the TENS wasn't working. We arrived and she was 8cm, so we set up and I started the delivery, slooowly the head was born to the nose and the midwife asked me if I had the head and I said not yet. She then stepped in (mom was side-lying) she delivered the head and said "Hands and knees" twice and the mom flipped over. It was a shoulder dystocia and the MW did 2 moves to get the baby born. She was huge and floppy 4780g. She had a great heart rate, but took a full, long minute to start crying well. I'm so amazed to hear about my sister clasmates managing these emergencies on their own - I felt so relieved that the MW helping me was there. There was no problem at all with third stage, and I delivered the placenta without cutting and clamping it off the baby - that was a thrill! The next birth was at home again 3rd baby with a mom who delivers quickly. She was about 6-7cm when we arrived. We sent up and went to drink a coffee downstairs. An hour later she said we could break her water. About 1/2 hour later she was pushing. 10 minutes of pushing and a straightforward delivery with no need for suturing. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment